In This Section
 
Search
 

Guinness Logo.jpg

How to apply for a property on Westfield

bookmark_514

Westfield War Memorial Village has asserted its right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents
Act 1988 to be identified as the owner of this work. No part of
this website may be reproduced, stored or transmitted in any form or by any means without the
prior written permission of the copyright owner.

Thank you: Many thanks to the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum, Lancaster Military Heritage Group, and all the residents, and family members
of previous residents, who have provided information and photographs to help bring this
site to life.

1 Sir Thomas Storey House
West Road
Lancaster
LA1 5PE
info@westfieldmemorialvillage.co.uk
Telephone: 01524 65799

  • The 1952 opening of the post-Second World War properties at Porritt Avenue

  • Storey Avenue and the village turning circle in 1943

  • Village secretary Colonel Dundas presents a bowling trophy in the Fifties

  • Communal life on the ever-popular bowling green, as seen in 1943

  • Members of the village social club outside the club house in the Seventies

  • An architect's drawing from the Fifties showing a different vision for future growth of the village.

You are here: Home » History » The Middle Years


The Middle Years

LIFE between the wars had settled into a comfortable routine on Westfield. There was now a new president, Mr Charles Storey (younger brother of the late Herbert Lushington Storey) whose arrival had provided welcome confirmation that the patronage and financial support that the family had always provided could continue to be relied upon.

If many popular representations of Britain in the Thirties focus on mass unemployment, benefit cuts and poverty, this was also an era of consumer opportunity for those least affected by hardship; and Lancaster's major employers had ridden the storm. It was a situation reflected in local lifestyles, with the Thirties proving a time of plenty on the village. Pockets of land were sold off on the periphery of the estate at considerable profit and large bequests continued to arrive from wealthy local supporters. In the Westfield Council minutes of October 1936 it was recorded that the village would soon be “absolutely free of debt”. As such, it could afford to embrace the wonders of the modern world, including the decision to introduce electricity to all homes.

However, the trials and tribulations faced by the people of Britain during the Second World War were soon to put the pleasures of domestic comfort in context; not least as men who had fought in “the war to end all wars” now had to watch their own children go off to fight. Part of Westfield House would be used as an ARP centre and 30 evacuee children from Salford would be housed on the village. Major Connell, the village secretary, took over the running of the Local Defence Volunteers and an Air Raid Warden's post was sited on Westfield, close to a substantial 1.5-acre plot of land for allotments supporting the 'dig for victory' campaign.

In total, eight men associated with Westfield (seven of whom were the sons of residents and the other a member of the wider Westfield community via the village social club) would pay the ultimate sacrifice. One family, the Hodkinsons, were to lose two sons.

 

VillageOuting.jpg Picture of the women and children of the village going on an outing in the Fifties.

During the war years talk invariably turned to the need for new housing for the victims of this new conflict. However, the cost of building had more than doubled from the last time a major construction project had been undertaken, and once again it would be large private and organisational donations that would save the day.

The war years and subsequent demands of expansion appear to have exhausted a number of the older stalwarts of the village and another Storey would take over at the helm, Captain Alan StoreyOne of the first projects he would oversee would be the building of a clutch of properties on a new extension named Porritt Avenue in honour of village benefactor and philanthropost Lt Col Porritt. While its opening in 1952 was suitably celebratory, members of the village council could have been forgiven for harboring feelings of trepidation.

“As usual, our annual difficulty is financial – it is very difficult begging in bad times,” Captain Storey warned those present at the village AGM in April 1952. Many of the properties on the village were old and in need of repair, while general material and maintenance costs had risen massively and large private donations all but “dried up”. However, while the issue of rent rises was mentioned for the first time in 1952, it would be a further six years before the committee was prepared to vote in favour of such a course of action.

However, the problems went beyond the finances: it was now becoming increasingly difficult to find "suitable" tenants. The number of disabled ex-servicemen had fallen massively in the Sixties and Seventies and the properties themselves had become too run-down to be attractive to younger couples.

By 1969, with finances at an all-time low, one committee member stated: “Put plainly, Westfield and what it stood for, 25 years after the end of the Second World War, is of little interest to outsiders.”

Registered in England, Company No. 157888. Registered Office: Westfield Office, 1 Sir Thomas Storey House, West Road, Lancaster LA1 5PE. Registered Charity No. 223625

Main Sections

Home
History
Housing
Education
Charity
Contact Us 

Westfield History

The Early Years
The Middle Years
The Modern Era
Founders
Benefactors
Key Figures
Memorials 

Links

The Guinness Partnership
The Not Forgotten Association
The Royal British Legion
Combat Stress
The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment

Contact Details

Westfield War Memorial Village
West Road
Lancaster
LA1 5PE

01524 65799
info@westfieldmemorialvillage.co.uk

A pageXtra solution from pinkdylan - web design lancaster