1 Sir Thomas Storey House West Road Lancaster LA1 5PE info@westfieldmemorialvillage.co.uk Telephone: 01524 65799

Gallery

Jennifer Delahunt's figurative monument unveiled in 1926
Some of the residents of the village at a winter gathering
The housing block known as Nantyr, originally a stable block where industrial workshops were hosted in the early years
Diamond Jubilee celebrations on the village
Homeowner and ex-serviceman Mr Norman Mitchell
The children of the village are not short of opportunities for fun.
Historic bungalows erected around the bowling green in the Twenties
Terraces on Haig Avenue
Semi-detached properties on the attractive Haig AvenueSome of the properties built on Storey Avenue in 1928 1 2 3 4
Some of the properties built on Storey Avenue in 1928
You are never too old to join in the fun on the village gala days
The attractive community rooms and gardens at Westfield Office
Guinness Northern Counties and Westfield staff get in the festive spirit
The village bowling green is one of Westfield's best-used facilities
A sense of community is at the heart of village life
The village maintains close links with the military to mark commemorative days
Youngsters don their dancing shoes at a children's party
The Mayor of Lancaster, Councillor Briggs, Lord Derby and Earl Haig at the official village opening in 1924
A ticket to a meeting at Lancaster Town hall in 1918 at which the village founders went public with their scheme
Lord Cavendish at the unveiling of the village foundation stone at Herbert Storey Cottage in 1919
A drawing of the first two houses, known as Morton and Leslie, and an advert calling for donations to build houses or cubicles in the hostel
A picture taken through the main gates in 1920.
The 1952 opening of the post-Second World War properties at Porritt Avenue
Storey Avenue and the village turning circle in 1943
Village secretary Colonel Dundas presents a bowling trophy in the Fifties
Communal life on the ever-popular bowling green, as seen in 1943
Members of the village social club outside the club house in the Seventies
Village tenant Wilf Rawlinson, a veteran of the Korean War, with soldiers of the Duke of Lancaster's regiment in 2009
Unveiling of new Battle Honor names for flats at Ley Court in 2013
The building of Porritt Avenue flats in the Eighties
Fun and games to mark the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977
The signing of a new 70-year lease in 2010 with, left to right, charity chairman Mrs Shuttleworth, charity president Mrs Bowring and Northern Counties chief executive Carol Matthews
Children of the village enjoying some cycling and road safety tips on the village in 2012.
The memorial plaque outside the property Ypres on Storey Avenue
'Golden' lady Hilda Leyel, the Bleasdale Auxilliary Hospital and Joseph 'Morton' Bibby who was killed on the Somme
Captain Roper had two properties funded in his memory, both of which were bungalows
'Golden' lady Hilda Leyel, the Bleasdale Auxilliary Hospital and Joseph 'Morton' Bibby who was killed on the Somme
The figurative memorial group at the heart of the village unveiled in 1926
One of the invitations to the event, sent to a Mr and Mrs Bland
From the left, Private Richard Allen, who is the standing figure on the memorial, work on the clay cast at the Storey Institute, believed to show one of Delahunt's students with the two life models stood at the back (this picture courtesy of the King's Own Regimental Museum), and Captain Jack Ward, who is the figure shown in difficulty on the finished memorial.
Close Menu